I made some stuffing recently. It was pretty great so here is the recipe:
- Get some great bread, let it go stale and turn it into bread crumbs (or if you are lazy like me toast it blitz it and toast the resulting bits under the grill).
- Soak dried apricots and dried cranberries in (very) hot water. Add some cinnamon to the water if you like. Cover and put to the side.
- Add an onion and lots of garlic to a frying pan (you probably know how much garlic you like). Cook for a bit in butter.
- Bash up some walnuts.
- Add some mixed spice to the frying pan and grate in the zest of a lemon.
- Add the walnuts, continuing to fry.
- Wait a bit, stiring the crushed up walnuts.
- Drain the fruit and keep the liquid to the side.
- Add the well drained fruit to the frying pan.
- While this is heating through thoroughly, cut the skins of a packet of sausages and place the contents in a bowl. Use good sausages.
- Add the contents of the frying pan to the sausage meat. Mix well. If you are into your fatty meat feel free to mix it with your hands.
- Add the breadcrumbs.
- Add an egg.
- Continue mixing… adding in some of the liquid from the earlier soaking of fruit as needed to make a ‘stuffing’ consistancy or something ever-so slightly sloppier.
- Add a handful of parsley.
Finally, it’ll taste better if you put it inside a chicken or turkey. Remember to leave some space above the stuffing so that air can circulate inside the chicken/turkey and it has a chance of cooking.